NETHERTON TUNNEL CELEBRATIONS
Netherton Tunnel Celebrations will be held in August 2008 to mark the 150 Year Birthday of the tunnel which opened in August 1858.
More detail will be posted as it comes to hand - information to date:
• Saturday 16 August 2008 - The main events start at Delph Locks on with a gathering of boats old and new.
• Sunday 17 August 2008The action moves to Parkhead Junction.
• Monday 18 August 2008 Trips through the entire length of the Dudley Tunnel with time spent at the Black Country Living Museum.
• Tuesday 19 August – Boats arrive at Netherton.
• Wednesday 2 August – The big celebration VIP’s – Brass Bands – Ribbon Cutting – and a re enactment of the original opening.
The site of the tunnel at Windmill End is a breath of countryside in a built up area, the area includes Bumble Hole and Warrens Hill nature reserve it is also the site of Cobb's Engine House which was built in1831 in order to keep the coal mines dry. If you are feeling dry when visiting, the a visit to the Dry Dock Pub might be in order, The bar is a barge (a real one!) but we are unable to comment on the standard of food served as this has yet to be sampled!
Use this link for a leaflet covering the area prepared by Dudley Metropolitan Borough Council Bumble Hole Leaflet
More information and confirmation of events and timings can be obtained by ringing British Waterways on 0844 800 5076.
Clouds gather over Cobb's Engine House
Netherton Tunnel Celebrations
Canals of Birmingham and Central England